Type of Intervention: Specific Action
Sectors Involved: Indigenous Peoples, Military, Private Sector and Businesses, Police and Interior Affairs, Social Services, Supply Chains, Transportation
Intervention Categories: Social and physical distancing measures; Adapting or closing offices, businesses, institutions, and operations; Domestic travel; Legal and policy; Enforcement actions
Level of Jurisdiction: City
Lead People/Agency: The Governor of Karbala, Nassif Al-Khattabi
Overview: A number of governorates decided to impose a comprehensive curfew.
Babil Governorate: Babylon Crisis Cell said in a statement that “it was decided to impose a comprehensive curfew in the province for a week, until next Saturday starting from 6am, noting that “all the previous granted exceptions” have been cancelled.
Karbala Governorate: The Governor of Karbala, Nassif Al-Khattabi, announced in a statement that a comprehensive curfew would be imposed in the governorate starting next Monday, explaining that the curfew was as a result of citizens’ failure to comply with the conditions of safety and social distancing, and that strict measures will be taken in implementing the curfew.
Al-Diwaniyah Governorate: The Crisis Cell issued a number of decisions after holding a meeting hosted by Al-Qadisiyah University to discuss the developments of the weekly epidemiological situation and follow up on previous decisions. Among the decisions:
1) Imposing a comprehensive curfew (that includes individuals and vehicles) and tightening procedures against violators for a period of one week, starting tomorrow, Sunday, June 21.
2) Close all entrances to the governorate and the Nisimiyya roads and to not allow other than trucks to transport goods, foodstuffs, oil derivatives and other essential supplies from entering the governorate.
3) Disrupting the official working hours in all government departments and institutions, except security, health and service, as announced in previous decisions.
4) Assigning the second deputy to the governor to head the Crisis Cell at Al-Diwaniyah Teaching Hospital and to assign medical teams to receive the injured.
5) Stressing that security services wear masks and gloves while performing their duties on the street.
6) Running multiple patrols to prevent gatherings in markets and public places, and to emphasise precautionary measures.
7) Stressing the closure of cafes, sport halls, swimming pools, and stadiums, and the formation of multiple security teams to implement the decision.
8) The heads of the administrative units bear the full administrative and legal responsibility if they do not implement the decisions of the Crisis Cell in their areas of responsibility.
9) Closure of all institutes throughout the province, to ensure that the mechanisms for their attendance are reviewed after the tenth of next July.
10) Close private medical clinics and prepare a report on the distribution of specialist doctors and consultants in health institutions.
11) Facilitating the access of lawyers to the courts during official working hours only.
Wasit Governorate: The Crisis Cell in Wasit governorate decided to prohibit the movement between regions, stressing the need for people inside the regions to wear gloves, and masks. Strict measures will be taken against violators.
Najaf Governorate: Najaf Governor, Louay Al-Yasiri confirmed that there is no intention to impose a complete curfew unless imposed by the central government.
Full details here: https://www.alsumaria.tv/news/%D9%83%D9%88%D8%B1%D9%88%D9%86%D8%A7-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%82/349170/%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%AD%D8%A7%D9%81%D8%B8%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AA%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D8%B9%D9%84%D9%86%D8%AA-%D8%AD%D8%B8%D8%B1-%D8%B4%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%84-%D9%88%D8%AC%D8%B2%D8%A6%D9%8A-%D8%A7%D8%B9%D8%AA%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A7-%D9%85%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7
Type of Justification: Advice of INTERNAL government advisory committee or group, Perception of an increased threat
Evidence/Justification: Due to the increase in the number of cases and failure of citizens to adhere to the cufew measures